Is Your Child Affected By Hair Loss?

Almost 2 million children in the US are affected by hair loss every year. The good news: 60% of them can be treated. However, just in case your child falls into the other 40%, here is some must-know information:

Tinea Capitis – this is also known as ringworm of the scalp. Caused by a fungal infection, it affects the skin on your child’s scalp, eyebrows and eyelashes. The ringworm destroys hair follicles, which is what causes the hair loss. A common cause of this affliction is a minor bruising of the scalp, which leads to infection. If your child has Tinea Capitis, ensure that other children do not come into contact with him, as it could get transferred. Ensure that they do not share their hair brushes, combs, pillows or towels as well.

Alopecia Areata – this is the same form of hair loss that adults encounter and it could affect your children as well. Immune disorder is the main cause of Alopecia Areata and could cause your child to develop bald patches. However, the scalp will be unharmed and you will not find any inflammation or scaling. Underlying reasons for this are hyperactive disorders, nervousness, psychological stress and certain food items as well. Alopecia Areata is also hereditary.

Traction Alopecia – this is hair loss that affects only girls. It is caused by various hair styling techniques which tend to ‘stress’ hair. Tight ponytails, curling, teasing, blow drying and bleaching all cause traction alopecia. This is best remedied by changing your child’s hairstyle to one that puts less stress on the hair and scalp.

Trichotillomania Hair Loss – this is referred to hair loss experienced when children pull their own hair out. This is done out of stress, nervousness or even a psychological problem. First try and help your child deal with his/her emotions. If they are small, then try oiling their hair, which will make it harder to get a grip on their hair. You should also consider taking your child to a psychiatrist.